Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 02:59:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org, michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: CDROM drives in general

On Mon, 01 Sep 1997 13:53:09 -0700 "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" said:
>>Is it just me, or is this normal?
>>I noticed after upgrading a few months ago from an old 2X Panasonic
>>interface CDROM drive to an 8X ATAPI that audio cds skip alot easier when
>>the table my machine is sitting on it subjected to even the smallest shock
>[...]
>
>Cheaper (read: less well-designed) hardware?
>
>Much of the "cheap" mega-X CD-ROM drives these days are pretty much
>disposable crap.  You usually do better by getting SCSI, or at least
>getting a bit more expensive name-brand stuff.

	[Note: I'm catching up on mail !]

I've noticed several problems with "faster" CD-Rom drives lately that don't
tie to name-brand, etc.

Examples:  I put an 8x drive in my son's machine.  It's an IMES,
oem-type that works ok except for the jerkiness of video coming from
it.  I haven't noticed any skipping thou.

No, I just put a pair of Toshiba 16x EIDE CD-Rom drives in some client's
workstation.  I'm unhappy, the client's unhappy, the cat's unhappy...
The drives, while fast, are noisy, they vibrate horriby during spin-down
and spin-up, and often won't spin back up.  I know it's a small sample
set, up I'm sending these back to the distributor & will try Sony's
next.

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting