Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 01:35:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      des@flood.ping.uio.no
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/10576: multiple bugs in tun(4) man page

>Number:         10576
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       multiple bugs in tun(4) man page
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

All FreeBSD versions since the dawn of time.

The tun(4) man page describes inexistant ioctl requests: TUNSIFMODE
and TUNSLMODE. These ioctls have never been defined or implemented
on FreeBSD - there is no trace of them anywhere in the CVS repository.

Also, parts of the man page end up looking very wierd; for instance,
the following paragraph:

On the last close of the data device, by default, the interface is
brought down
.Po as if with
.Dq ifconfig tun Ns Sy n No down
.Pc .
All queued packets are thrown away.
.Po If the interface is up when the data device is not open
output packets are always
thrown away rather than letting them pile up
.Pc .

is formatted as follows:

     On the last close of the data device, by default, the interface is
     brought down (as if with``ifconfig tunn down''). All queued packets are
     thrown away.  pile up  (If the interface is up when the data deviceoutput
     packets  are  always thrown away rather than letting them).

I don't know enough *roff to be able to determine if this is a bug in
*roff or a bug in the man page.

>How-To-Repeat:

$ man 4 tun

>Fix:

Remove the bogus ioctl descriptions, and add a paragraph about the
TUNSIFINFO ioctl.