Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 12:37:26 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Joe Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-R server /var running out of inodes (not a usenet question)

>What have you got that creates lots and lots of little files every now
>and then, maybe in /var/tmp ?

Lots and lots, as in half a million.  Excellent question.  My original
message gave the list of work being done by this machine:

>I have a server running 3.0-R that serves DNS, ntp,
>NIS, NFS, sendmail, imap, pop, majordomo, DHCP, and syslog.

I'm not imagining any of these going to that extreme under normal
operation.  Maybe sendmail or majordomo if they were under extreme
load, but they're not.  If they were there would be evidence of that
in the logs.  I believe it's got to be a failure mode of some sort.
Especially since this seems to happen rather suddenly and then all
traces are gone after reboot.  Seems like a race condition somewhere.

-Mitch