Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 00:26:45 -0700
From:      Doug Wellington <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
To:        Scott Overholser <scotto@remuda.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, a-scotov@exchange.microsoft.com, doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
Subject:   Re: sendmail read errors/timeouts etc.

Previously:
>i recently replaced my email gateway with a freebsd 2.1.0 box.  prior to
>that it was a linux box (different hardware) running sendmail 8.6.11 and
>100% trouble free.  now though, i am seeing sendmail errors when sending to
>a few select sites.  in addition, i see them when i receive from the same
>sites.

Well, I'm gonna start with a couple dumb questions...  What version of
sendmail are you running? I think the most recent is 8.7.5...  When you
switched, did you keep a copy of your old sendmail.cf?  Have you done a
diff on the old vs. the new?  I know you said that your timeouts were
very high, but  exactly what is the r option?  I used to run with 15m,
but that isn't long enough anymore.  Try at least 30m or maybe even 1h
or more...  Also, do you have any problems with a connection to those sites
if you do it manually (with telnet)?   How heavily is your gateway loaded?
If you have a heavy load, you may want to consider using a more efficient
mailer than sendmail...

-Doug

Doug Wellington
doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov
System and Network Administrator
US Geological Survey, Tucson, AZ Project Office

According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record".
Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...

FreeBSD and Apache - the best real tools for the virtual world!
Check out www.freebsd.org and www.apache.org, and for you music
types, check out TCLMidi...

God, I wonder what Apple is going to mess up next?  Have they been
taking lessons from Novell?