Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:39:59 -0500
From:      Alexander Kabaev <kabaev@gmail.com>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tftpd: avoid logging error for pxeboot option negotiation?

--Sig_/JVnoVZ=Ct_9Tz8NV_Qhja.R

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:09:10 -0500
Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:

> After upgrading a diskless boot server from FreeBSD 6 to 8 I see an
> error message logged each time a diskless client boots:
>=20
> Feb 20 00:56:38 TPC-D4-35 tftpd[55229]: Got ERROR packet: TFTP Aborted
>=20
> It turns out that the pxeboot client (from Intel) first performs a
> TFTP read request with the tsize option to which it receives an
> acknowledgement containing the size of the file to be transferred.
> Then it sends back an error response to abort the transfer, and sends
> the read request again (without the tsize option).
>=20
> The sequence of packets is:
>=20
> 1. C->S TFTP Read Request, File: pxeboot, Transfer type: octet,
> tsize=3D0 2. S->C TFTP Option Acknowledgement, tsize=3D239616
> 3. C->S TFTP Error Code, Code: Not defined, Message: TFTP Aborted
> 4. C->S TFTP Read Request, File: pxeboot, Transfer type: octet,
> blksize=3D1456 5. S->C TFTP Option Acknowledgement, blksize=3D1456
> 6. C->S TFTP Acknowledgement, Block: 0
> 7. S->C TFTP Data Packet, Block: 1
>=20
> I'd like to avoid logging the error here, for the sake of this pxeboot
> client and any other tftp clients that might check options without
> actually starting a transfer.  Anyone opposed to removing it?  (A
> proposed patch is at http://people.freebsd.org/~emaste/tftpd.diff).
>=20
> -Ed

IIRC, PXE sends an error packet with zero error code. Could you supress
the error message in that case and avoid propagation of the 'ignore
error' flag?

PXE client is not alone doing that - custom TFTP
implementation in pxeloader does that as well now, so suppressing errors
in this case is a good idea.

--=20
Alexander Kabaev

--Sig_/JVnoVZ=Ct_9Tz8NV_Qhja.R