Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:53:44 +0200
From:      Tommy Midttveit <tmidttve@powertech.no>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crash before BTX

At 12:48 26.07.2000 -0500, Chris Dillon wrote:
>I recently tried to boot 4.0-R from CD on a Compaq Proliant ML530
>which is very similar and had identical results.  Booting from the
>floppies and installing from CD works just fine, though.  I wonder if
>the boot problems have anything to do with the fact that there is no
>primary IDE controller at all, and the CDROM is the master of the
>secondary channel?

No, I doubt that is the problem. I just tested pulling out the SRCU2-1. The
BTX did not crash.
I've been talking to some friends of mine, and they say that I most likely
have to disable the BIOS in the controller, put the root filesystem on a
SCSI device (or IDE) and mount the RAID from there. I thought RAID was
supposed to be more stable than standard SCSI/IDE (all according to
configuration of course)? Then what's the use if you still have to use it?

Mvh
   Tommy Midttveit