Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:55:01 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jkh@cdrom.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   False Alarm: Xi Graphics representative was mistaken!

All:

Fortunately, it turns out that the Xi Graphics representative who
told me that they were dropping FreeBSD support was mistaken. Her
original message to me said:

 >Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:18:31 -0700
 >From: Cindy Miley <cindy@xig.com>
 >To: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
 >Subject: Re: Appian multi-head cards
 >
 >Brett,
 >
 >Yes, we support several Appian stock cards.  There is a list at
 >www.xig.com/Pages/MXCardsAppian.html for single-head support and
 >www.xig.com/Pages/MXCardsAppian.html for multi-head support.  I am not
 >sure what she was referring to as far as a specially modified card.  To
 >my knowledge, it would actually require custom development to support a
 >modified card.  However, we no longer support BSD in our retail
 >products.  We have been in discussions with BSDI about including
 >Accelerated-X on their next version, but I do not know if this will
 >actually happen.
 >
 >We do support several versions of Linux.  Thank you for your interest in
 >Accelerated-X.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Since this message came from an official representative of the company,
I took them at their word. But their representative apparently was mistaken:
when I actually called the company to ask WHY they would have done such a
thing, I was told that what was actually dropped was their X server for
BSDI's BSD/OS.

Whew. I apologize for the false alarm.

--Brett Glass