Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:28:44 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        dever@getaclue.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
>> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
>> > Why?
>> > Even unlimited freedom of speech is not a guarantee of an audience.
>>
>> This is the argument used by people who wish to fool people into
>> thinking there is no freedom of speech. I will refrain from addressing
>> it here.
>
> Again, why?  I believe in the (acknowledged by the 4th ammendment)
> right to free speech.  That doesn't mean that people have to listen
> to me, or to take what I say to heart, as if it were gospel.  The
> right of someone to proselytize me stops at the point I slam my
> front door in their face.

You are not allowed to place your hand on their jaw and close
their mouth.

> Your argument is that I should not be allowed to close my own door,
> or to buy locks for that door from a third party.

Nope, not even close.

>> > Do you spend as much energy bitching at your local cable television
>> > company for not putting you on the air to voice your philosophy to
>> > the masses?
>>
>> Heavens no, my philosophy is not for everyone. It's only for those who
>> are willing to understand. ;)
>
> Understanding is not a guarantee of acceptance or acquiesence.

You presume I want either state. I don't. All I "want" is for people
to let others make their own decisions. The arguments you present lead
to exactly the opposite state.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

"If a man does keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is
because he hears a different drummer." - Henry David Thoreau