Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 20:48:17 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: datapro market penetration study

At 4:15 PM -0700 7/29/98, Jack Velte wrote:
>http://www.redhat.com/redhat/datapro.html
>
>Datapro Study
>
> According to a new Datapro study Linux is the only operating system
> except Windows NT that is growing in corporate markets.

Well, the only one out of the ones that they studied.

> [``BSD'', according to this chart, suffered an about 60% decrease
> in growth from 96 to 97.]

I think that's a 60% decrease in usage, not a 60% decrease in growth.

It's also not at all clear what they mean by "BSD", since there is
only the one chart that lists BSD.  The other charts (such as a
list of how happy companies were with "Cost of Ownership") do not
list anything about "BSD".  It also doesn't indicate what exactly
they mean by "BSD".

Still, it's an interesting study.  I wish I had time to track down
the actual study for more details, instead of this summary page of
the report as put together by the folks at RedHat.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute