Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 00:11:01 -0500
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@net-noise.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   LS-120 support?

Hello everyone,
I have a bit of mystery on my hands. I received a free LS-120 drive that
appears to work. I connected it to a Win2k box where it was recognized by
the BIOS. Win2k installed a driver for it, and was able to read, at least,
normal 1.44MB floppies (I haven't tested LS-120 superdisks yet). Ok, so it
seems to work on a newer system, with Win2k.

I then plugged it into my BSD machine, which is running on a PR440FX main
board (out of a Compaq server), which does *not* have BIOS support for the
drive. (only the CDROM is detected at boot time) No problem, this board
doesn't recognize a few other things that work just dandy under FreeBSD. I
add in the option "device atapifd" to my kernel config and rebuild the
kernel. All goes well, except that now when I boot, I get a few seconds
pause, then the error message "ata0-slave: identify retries exceeded".
Needless to say, it doesn't appear to be detected.

The drive is connected as the slave disk, with a CD-ROM connected as the
master. Both, theoretically, should be using DMA, and the CDROM in fact is
reported as using WDMA2. (the CD-ROM is detected and functional).
Ordinarily, I would suspect the lack of BIOS support, but I know that isn't
the case. This main board has a SCSI host adapter, and the PR440FX boards
are a bit strange in that they will refuse to boot from SCSI if an ATA (not
ATAPI) drive is detected. The only way to avoid this is to either 1) unplug
the ATA drive or, 2) tell the BIOS there is no drive at that location. I
usually use 2, and the BIOS obligingly fails to see it - but FreeBSD does.

Any ideas on how to get this drive working? It might be handy if I could get
it running under FreeBSD.

Thanks,
Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com