Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 02:39:10 +0200
From:      Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
To:        wonko@entropy.tmok.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS/CVSup

Brian Hechinger:

>>> anyway, that's all background info, what i need to know is, can i PUSH from
>>> A to B instead of trying to PULL?  i can connect from A -> B but i cannot
>>> connect from B -> A to do a pull.
>
> there is a firewall between the two networks.  the A network has unrestricted
> access to all machine on the B network, however the B network is restricted to
> the point where it can't originate connections, however it can establish
> connections that are the response to connections originating from the A network.

I think I see.
Your CVSup server and client need to support multiplexed mode. I'm
not sure when this was introduced, but it can't hurt to upgrade to
the current version 16.1. Then you can use:

hostA$ ssh -R 4711:localhost:5999 hostB cvsup -h localhost -p 4711 supfile

(4711 is just a random, otherwise unused port number.)

If the above isn't quite obvious, here's a breakdown:

(1) "ssh ... hostB ..."
    Make an ssh connection from A to B.

(2) "-R 4711:localhost:5999"
    On B, allocate port 4711 and forward connections to it through
    the existing ssh connection to port 5999 (cvsup) on host A.

(3) "cvsup -h localhost -p 4711 supfile"
    On B, start cvsup and have it connect to port 4711 on the local
    host. The connection is forwarded because of (2) through the
    ssh tunnel to the cvsup port on A. You have now established a
    connection from cvsup on B to cvsupd on A. Once cvsup terminates,
    so will ssh and the port forwarding.

That's an I-give-you-a-little-PUSH-and-then-you-PULL-real-hard
model.

Additional remarks:
* Both ssh and cvsup can compress their connections. For increased
  efficiency, enable compression only for one but not both.
* Of course you can use other IP tunneling and remote execution
  software, but ssh is usually at hand.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de