Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:57:25 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Wayne M Barnes <wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 22 Mb hidden,wasted

In the last episode (Dec 01), Wayne M Barnes said:
> Dear FreeBSDers,
>
>     One of my partitions (the one where I collect mail) just filled
> up accidentally (and I lost 2 days worth of email, somehow).
>
>     This partition was little-used, I thought, but when this happened
> I found that a directory listing shows 22246 bytes in the root of
> this partition, with no files or anything that I can delete. I have
> deleted 5 Mb of stuff to get by with until I solve this problem.

Two problems.

One; it's not 22246 bytes; it's 22246 512-byte blocks ~= 11 MB.  "du"
output becomes a lot easier to understand if you set your environment
variable "BLOCKSIZE=1k".

Two; "du" prints cumulative usage totals.  The last entry - "." is the
total usage in the directory.  Most of the space is actually taken up
by your mail/ directory.

If you plan on keeping a large inbox like this, you might want to move
/var/mail to /usr/mail and make a symlink for /var/mail -> /usr/mail,
or possibly repartition your disk with a larger /var.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com