Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 08:39:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      ee96199@tom.fe.up.pt
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux vs freebsd testimonial

Ok. I will also tell my experience...

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, spork wrote:

> Since we've gotten along fairly well in our migration from Linux, I
> thought I'd share my experiences as well...

I used Linux for almost 2 years and then changed to FreeBSD despite it
lack of support of the Iomega ZIP drive (Official Support, I mean).

> These have been the most trouble-free machines we've worked with.  Some of
> the recent security problems were a bit tough (lots of cvsup-ing), but
> nothing compared to the nasty Slackware Linux Bug-o-the-month.  The only

Instead of using Slackware you could use RedHat which is much more safer.
When a hole appears they imediatly release an update. This was the
distribution I used.

> reboots *any* of these machines have seen were intentional, which is
> something I just can't say about Linux.  Performance is much better, and

I don't know what they did with 2.2.1 because the Byte Benchmark gave me
this results (I will only print the average):

Linux 2.0.18 (generic kernel from RedHat Linux 4.0)........ 10.5
FreeBSD 2.2.1 (generic kernel)............................. 12.9
FreeBSD 2.1.5 ('personalized' kernel)......................  6.8

It's great... My FreeBSD box it's much faster than a Linux one! :-)

About reboots in FreeBSD they are only intencional because this is the
best OS of the world! But one I forced it to crash: 2 or 3 make worlds
(I don't remember) and a make world in the X11R6 tree while cracking
1000 passwords at the same time!

> We have to keep one Linux web server for compatibility with some odd
> sourceless C cgi's, but the other two will be history soon.  Our news
> server is running Linux, but it's being replaced with a machine to be
> named "fridge" which will have 3 SCSI busses and 15 drives, and of course
> be running FBSD.

That's nice.

> I must say, this has made my job much easier.  Linux is just too
> unpredictable when you don't have the time to play the
> "kernel-of-the-week" game.  One of the Linux boxes still does the routine
> of freezing with no log entries or other hints; which is extremely
> frustrating.  FBSD just seems like it was meant to be in a production
> environment...

Remember: FreeBSD is not a clone! Linux is! i.e. FreeBSD is Unix(r)

One more thing: Some days ago I forced FreeBSD to use 78 MB of swap while
I was using 3 console windows, 2 xterms and a ghostview and it responded
blindly. :-) With Linux I would have to wait for the things that were
being moved from and out of swap.

I am considering upgrading from 16MB to 32MB of RAM... I thing that
FreeBSD will get much faster because it will use plenty of cache and
buffers. Anyone agrees?