Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:57:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Craig Dooley <cd5697@albany.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent current dies hard with simple program

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Craig Dooley wrote:

> Last cvsup/world/kernel is from around midnight last night, but noticed
> the problem yesterday.  For a csi class I have to sort and uniq a file
> in c, and as a test case, I wrote a simple hex dump that respects
> newlines.  No matter what I give it as input, it will hard crash the
> system.  No DDB, no panic, just hard locked.  When trying to run it
> under GDB, break on main, as soon as I type run, it dies again.  Im
> writing it on the same machine with much more significant programs
> running absolutely perfectly.  I'm attaching the source to see if it's a
> common problem with anyone else.
>
> FreeBSD broken.xlnx-x.net 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #8: Thu Jan 30
> 01:01:45 EST 2003 craig@broken.xlnx-x.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BROKEN
> i386

Doesn't happen here with a kernel from the 28th.  I tried a couple of
input files without luck.

Sometimes, it's easier to get into DDB if you're using a serial console
and serial break -- could you try that?  When the system is stuck in a
tight spin while holding Giant, for example, the console debugger may not
be able to generate a useful break.  This will improve if we can get the
system console to get less involved in Giant.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories