Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 01:02:21 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        Jon Dugan <jdugan@ncsa.uiuc.edu>, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rsync woes

Daniel Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Peter Wemm wrote on Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:03:27PM -0700:
> [..]
> > I think I know what is going on.  rsync is using an embedded zlib-1.1.2
> > library.  We got burned a few times with 1.1.2 ourselves, and have 1.1.3
> > in the tree.  The changelog for 1.1.3 says:
> >
> > Changes in 1.1.3 (9 July 1998)
> > - fix "an inflate input buffer bug that shows up on rare but persistent
> >   occasions" (Mark)
> >
> > I half suspect this is the reason for the problems. :-(  I wonder how many
> > tweaks were made to the embedded copy?
>
> Hmm, but the iso's shouldn't be transferred compressed. At least
> I understood Peter that way, that .tgz and .iso will be excluded
> from compression. So why should deflate() be called at all ?
> Or is it, that the whole stream is piped through, but with a
> compression level of 0 or something ?

It looks to me that the problem with the zlib stuff happens at the
boundaries.  Looking at some of the zlib diffs suggested a few scenarios
that might have caused this problem (ie: padding where it isn't supposed to
be, etc).

Yes, the docs are very explicit that .iso, .tgz etc are not compressed.  I
have not personally read the rsync code where this is handled.

*grumble* *grumble* *kick rsync* *grumble* *looks at cvsupd again*

Cheers,
-Peter