Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:43:28 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to build packages on the fly...

What I'm about to describe is something I'd like, not something which
currently exists, and I'm just collecting some feedback on it before
actualling diving into the implementation details.

In a nutshell, what I'd like to be able to do is build a fresh version
of package X and all the packages it has RUN_DEPENDS on easily so that
I can pack those up and drop them into a packages tree somewhere.
This is particularly useful for the big and complex packages, like KDE
or GNOME.

To be more specific, I'd like to be able to do:

mkdir /usr/ports/packages
cd /usr/ports/x11/kde2
make all install package

.. and wind up with, in /usr/ports/packages/All, a complete set of
packages required to support KDE version 2.

What will happen now is something less desirable, which is essentially
a make and install of the KDE master port and all the things it depends
on, but only *one* package, that being for the KDE master port.  Then
I basically have to grep through all the output of the builds to find
out which other ports were built so that I can individually package
each one.  Not quite the auto-recursion effect I was looking for. :(

- Jordan