Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 13:40:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0 & splimp

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > I was trying to bring an Alpha with a kernel from 11/15/99 to current, and
> > I can't seem to get kernel right.  I see that there were a lot of config
> > changes, so perhaps I don't have my config file in sync, but it looks
> > roughly like GENERIC, so I will toss the diag information in your laps.
> >
> > The kernel boots, but it can't find the onboard Intel Pro-100 (it's a
> > Intel DK440LX, integrated everything).  The boot message tells me:
>
> I'm not aware of any way to install an Alpha CPU on an Intel DK440LX board
> that doesn't involve rolling your own silicon and some neat work with
> small machine tools.

God.  Once a year I decide to party (I'm not a big drinker) and
everybody's a critic :-)

I better amend this with reality, hadn't I?  The ethernet card's a CNet
Pro100, uses the ax0 device.  I still get that "link_elf: symbol splimp
undefined" error during boot, and the CNet card's not recognized.  The
previous 11/15/99 kernel used no modules (kldstat says so), and I added
nothing new to the config, just changed one "disk" to device, and took out
the following lines that config complained about (and weren't in GENERIC):

controller cia0
controller apecs0
controller tsunami0
controller lca0

controller tcasic0
controller tc0
controller tcds0
controller ioasic0

I'd had these in before because they were in GENERIC, now they're
gone.  If I'm loading a kld on startup (the boot loader says no) then I am
not sure how to check further.  The only problem I see with the new kernel
is the splimp thing (which means no network card).  While I wait for

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C & Java programming,
New Year's Resolution:  I  | electronics, communications, and
will not sphroxify gullible| signal processing.
people into looking up     | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
fictitious words in the    |      jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)|
dictionary.                |