Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:01:07 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Marc Tardif" <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: clustering and netbooting

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Tardif" <intmktg@CAM.ORG>

[snip]

| Problem is: how can I avoid having to build/install world and, to a lesser
| extent, the kernel for each machine (same hardware)?
|
| Solution 1: netbooting

[snip]

| Problem is: even though my objective is reached and only one build/install
| will be necessary, how much compromise in performance or potential
| problems can I expect from such a setup?

| Solution 2: mounting directories from fstab
| If possible, this option would mount the directories installed during
| "make installworld". This will prevent me from having to build/install
| world on each machine, but I'll still have to install a kernel for each
| machine.
|
| Problem is: how do I know which directories must be mounted in order to
| avoid having to build/install world on each machine? Also, can I expect
| any compromise in performance or potential problems for this kind of setup
| also?

I've done variations of both, netbooting and nfs mounting key directories,
and while its a great solution for end-user type workstations, non-critical
servers or identical server farms, I've found that by focusing my points of
failure to one machine I increase my troubles, not decrease them when
dealing with critical services.

Even if you have a rock-solid NFS setup, what happens when a make
installworld screws up?  Do you want to lose all the machines, or just one
of them?