Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:47:14 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3_Zsolt?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
To:        Graham Bentley <admin@cpcnw.co.uk>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple question...how to show packages which depend upon

Graham Bentley írta:
> And ... how to remove a package and all the packages
> it sucked in ?
>
> All I get from pkg_delete that it isnt even installed when
> I know it is because that was the previous command I
> just ran !!!

Can you please send us the commands that you have executed?
If you used "pkg_add -r <package name>" then the name of the package can
be a general package name, without version number. This is useful since
usually you are not sure what is the latest version, you just want to
install it. Here is an example:

messias# pkg_add -r mc
Fetching
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/Latest/mc.tbz...
Done.
pkg_add: package 'mc-4.6.1_3' or its older version already installed

However, if you add a package that is saved locally, you need to type in
its full name (or path):

pkg_add mc-4.6.1_3.tbz

or something similar. Once you have the package/port installed, you can
lookup its full name with pkg_which:

messias# pkg_which mc
mc-4.6.1_4

When you need to delete a package, you need to specify the full name
(including the version number). The reason for this is easy: it is
possible to have different versions of the same package installed at the
same time. (Well, this is not true for some packages, but it is true for
others...)

So instead of doing:

pkg_delete mc

you should use:

pkg_delete mc-4.6.1_4

I hope this answers your question. If it does, then probably reading
these man pages will help you a LOT:

portupgrade(1)
pkg_add(1)
pkg_deinstall(1)