Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:54:59 -0500
From:      Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GGI (was: Project Status)

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 10:33 AM, Narvi wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Larry Sica wrote:
>

>> This is probably the most important aspect of any desktop.  A coherent
>> system.  A desktop needs consistency, ease of use and applications.
>>
>> Sometime too much choice is just as bad, or worse, than no choice at
>> all.  I want to be able to setup a system that will look and feel the
>> same for 99% of cases.  I want to be able to use quicken, or word, or
>> that cool photo app.  I want my itunes, my instant messenger.  That is
>> what people say.  Most don't have the time or care to get deeply
>> involved in their computer, they want it to be just another electronic
>> device they use, like a vcr, or a tv.
>>
>> So the question becomes, does FreeBSD as a whole want to target this
>> user audience?  Is there the collective will to make that a reality?
>> If the answer is no, I would think resources are best directed
>> elsewhere perhaps?
>>

> There is no point in dragging - or trying to drag - FreeBSD as a whole
> into this. Its not useful and furthermore not the way things get done.
> They way to get things done is:
>
> 	* find similarily minded people who want to see it happen

Perhaps, but there also needs to be some level of commitment at the
core level.  And I don't just mean core@, i mean a willingness overall
to have things move in that direction on some level.

> 	* *DECIDE* (and later keep to the decision) as to what exactly
> 	  your target audience is

Well that is a given, trying to please everyone all of the time is
impossible.

> 	* and then you just deal with the needed decisions that come from
> 	  the first two parts to end up with a desktop package

This is not so simple.  There are more factors than just what someone
likes to use.  What I like or you like may be horrible for the target
audience.    You have to worry about maintainability among other
things.  Compatability, future compatability, etc etc...

> But really its a huge amount of work and includes many quite quirky
> decisions even when starting for a well-known base like GNOME/KDE
> (alphabetical ordering).

Yes, also when using a third party base you lose some control.  Since
now you have to compensate for their packages and quirks and bugs and
localizations.

- --Larry