Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 23:27:00 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading a port/package

Hi:

I have GNU make 3.78.1 and I need to upgrade to 3.79.  What is the best way
to do this?

I don't recall adding the port and there is a file for it in
/usr/ports/distfiles so it must have been installed by another port as a
dependency.

Do I just do:
	pkg_delete gmake-3.78.1
	cd usr/ports/devel/gmake
	make install clean

Do I need/should I to do a "make clean" before the "make install clean" just
to be sure that I clean any previous files?

Will pkg_delete and/or "make clean" 1) not break any dependency, 2) not
leave extraneous files and directories?

John