Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:55:09 -0300
From:      "S.G." <tempo.raneo@infinito.it>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMART threshold exceeded

Hi Randy,
I've reads some posts by you about SMART threshold.
I have a notebook, XPS 1530 by Dell, with a Seagate 7200rpm 160GB HD.
The HD received a shock by impact (object falling on the notebook while
turned on), and there are errors (LBA bad sectors). I have Zero Filled
the disk many many times, and apparently the LBA are much lesser. A
Seagate Technician told me that if after two Zero Fill the Seatools Long
Test would have found no errors I could have used the drive again. He
told that bad sectors was not a bad thing, "error" was something worse
than bad sector.
So, I supposely could use the drive. But Seatools says that SMART is
Tripped, and the Dell Media Direct program, who need to install its own
partition before the OS installation (before any other partition can be
created by the OS during its install), it was not able to create it
because "SMART threshold exceeded on ATA device".
But I am allowed to install the OS (VISTA Home Premium).
ALl the errors were in the last part of the disc, the last 8GB. So, I am
creating 3 partitions, the first for Vista, the second for datas, the
third for pagefile, and I am leaving the last 8GB of the disk not
partitionned, not allocated.
DO you think it is reasonably safe?
Thanks for your help
Sergio