Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 23:47:14 -0500
From:      "Predius" <predius@netzero.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Diskless USB Issue

I'm working on setting up a Compaq iPaq for netbooting, and have run into a
small problem that's got me stumped.

My Setup:

Parasite (iPaq): 32MB Compact Flash card, formated as a FAT fs, loads DOS,
and uses dosboot.com (from netbsd) to load a freebsd kernel on the
filesystem.

The kernel is built for bootp, and specifically has bootp wired to aue0.
When booting, all is good, usb is detected, aue0 is detected, and it
attempts to do bootp.  Problem is at no point in time does the unit detect a
link, causing dhcp to just repeatedly timeout.

I've observed this system when netbooting via a NetBSD kernel, and see
similar behavior, the link isn't autodetected till it actually starts
sending bootp requests.  (It's a Linksys USB100TX Ver B1 btw).  Is there any
way to hardwire a media setting in the kernel to get around this?

And for those rolling their eyes at this arrangement, it's actually working
pretty good under netbsd right now, which is what I use to transfer content
to the CF media as I'm too lazy to get a usb cf reader for my desktop.

Considering USB is only going to get more and more popular, might as well
start playing with it, right? : )

Joshua Coombs