Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:31:08 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ahc & CAM: strange diagnostic

> One more argument in favor of IBM disks is that they reputedly run
> cooler and quieter than Quantum or Seagate disks.

I can't speak for the 7200 and 10000rpm IBM disks, as I have never been
able to source them when I've been considering them.  I can say that
IBM go to considerable lengths to make their cooling data available
(see the product pages for their drives), and they do appear to be
comparable if not somewhat better than the competition.

OTOH, we have been running a 9GB Seagate Cheetah in Freefall holding
the CVS repository, and despite being far and away the busiest disk in
the system it has kept its cool quite well.