Date:       Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:09:01 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow ssh throughput with -current

On 2000-Aug-10 15:36:01 +1000, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au> wrote:
>I just noticed a really peculiar network slowdown with -current from
>about a week ago.  The machine has two NICs - an old 16-bit SMC card
>(ed0) running 10baseT and a PCI SMC card (tx0) running 100baseTX full
>duplex.
>
>When I scp (either ssh-1.2.27 or OpenSSH) to a remote machine via ed0,
>I get a throughput of ~8KB/sec.  When I go via tx0, I get ~3MB/sec
>(CPU limited).  If I use ftp via ed0, I get wire speed (just over
>1MB/sec).

Having done some more tests, and a bit more digging, I've found
the culprit is net.inet.tcp.newreno.  When set to 1 (the default),
ssh (but not FTP) connections to hosts not on the same subnet
(as determined by in_localaddr()) have an effective window size of
1 MSS.

Unfortunately, I can't see any obvious reason why initialising
maxburst to 4 results in only a single packet on each call to
tcp_output() for ssh connections.

Peter