Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:25:55 -0600
From:      James Earl <james@icionline.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advise on gateway-setup

On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 14:03:51 -0400
"Michael H. Semcheski" <mhs-list@aylix.com> wrote:

> >Ok. After this little self promo its time for my questions.
> >The building I live in has 200+ apartments which in near future will
> >share an (I hope) powerful internet connection. Now I was put in-charge
> >of selecting the equipment to preform firewalling and gateway.
> >What I like it to do is firewalling and some sort of natted intranet
> >with bandwidth management. My question is. How powerful should the
> >gateway/firewall be? I am thinking about CPU and RAM and hardware en
> >general. Also I would be glad to get pointers on where to read for
> >setting up this..ofcause I will start whit the handbook right about here
> >

> Get a Pentium III with 512m of RAM and Intel ethernet cards.  Get SCSI
> disks.  You might look at a dell poweredge server.  It probably does not
> have to be the top of the line, but if you are going to get a real
> highbandwidth connection to the net, you're probably going to be paying
> a lot more per month in bandwidth than you will on hardware.  The last
> thing you want is a disk to go down.
>
> Realize that you are about to undertake a serious project, and don't
> skimp on the initial hardware.  Its a drop in the bucket in the long
> term (even if it doesn't seem that way now.)  Rackmount is good, because
> physical space can be pretty expensive.
>
> Don't get the cheapest thing you can find, because you really want to
> put off upgrading it as long as possible. (even if the upgrade is to
> replace a burned out fan)
>
> Mike

I'm in a similar position, but on a smaller scale.  I'm trying to figure out where these Switched Gateway/Routers/Firewall/VPN devices that are coming on the market fit in, and where it is better to use our favorite FreeBSD machine to do the work?  Would I be wrong in assuming these little hardware devices are faster at the job than a FreeBSD machine?

James