Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 14:15:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: dots in usernames?

Well, I did some reading through rfc821, and an email address is defined
as follows:

<mailbox> ::= <local-part> "@" <domain>
<local-part> ::= <dot-string> | <quoted-string>
<dot-string> ::= <string> | <string> "." <dot-string>
^^^ !

<quoted-string> ::=  """ <qtext> """
<c> ::= any one of the 128 ASCII characters, but not any <special> or <SP>
<x> ::= any one of the 128 ASCII characters (no exceptions)
<special> ::= "<" | ">" | "(" | ")" | "[" | "]" | "\" | "." | "," | ";" |
":" | "@"  """ | the control characters (ASCII codes 0 through 31
inclusive and 127)

(the above from ftp://passaic.cs.miami.edu/pub/rfc/rfc821.txt)

So if I've interpreted that right, .'s are indeed a legal part of the
local-part of email addresses (addresses with dots in 'em are also used in
various examples of that rfc); this would say to me that any mailer that
can't handle dots in the username should be considered non-RFC compliant.

I've bcc:'d freebsd-questions and cc:'d freebsd-current (which I'm not on,
btw) as I think the discussion is now headed in that direction.

People on -current:  Just to recap, adduser (and rmuser) disallow .'s in
usernames on FreeBSD-stable; passwd(5) cites that some mailers have
problems with dots in usernames.  However, they are becoming more common,
and are a legal part of rfc821.  So what are people's thoughts on allowing
that in -current, and if there's no complaints, backporting it to -stable?
It seems really really trivial...