Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:06:52 +0100
From:      Ondrej Fischer <fischeo1@feld.cvut.cz>
To:        Michael <soppscum@online.no>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: BT878(Prolink PV-BT878P+4E)

I searched many mailing lists for this. But yuo're right. The bktr
development doesn't continue since 2000, there is only some 2.19 devel
version available also from 2000. It would be greate to start a new
project maybe based on the original bktr, inspired by bttv. The problem
of many newer TV cards is, that they have separate audio device (see the
last line):

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xee003000-0xee003fff irq 5 at device 11.0 on
pci0
iicbb0: <I2C bit-banging driver> on bti2c0
iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
iicbus1: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on bti2c0
smb0: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus0
bktr0: Card has no configuration EEPROM. Cannot determine card make.
bktr0: Pinnacle/Miro TV, Temic NTSC tuner.
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x109e, dev=0x0878) at 11.1 irq 5

That makes current bktr driver quite unusable, since the driver
structure don't have any space for this info. Bttv has. I saw some
patch, that changed this struct, and added a field, that signalises a
separate audio device. Unfortunatly I was not able to compile the
patched driver.

So I think the bktr driver would need a deeper rewrite for this support.
But it needs to be done.