Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 14:19:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Barnes <bbarnes@operamail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports via FTP

> From: Bill Barnes <bbarnes@operamail.com>
> I'm doing my first one of the above and it bothers me that I am online as
> root.

Well, you don't say how you're going online, but most for the methods
I'm familiar with, being root isn't any worse for security than
anything else. The critical thing isn't which ID copies the packets
across the network, it's what happens to them after they get to your
machine. I use userland ppp, and filter things so that only inbound
things I trust can get through.

> There must be a way around this, but how can non-root write to /usr.

Letting non-root write to /usr is a lot worse for security than going
online as root. There are a number of alternatives that don't involve
doing that.

The easist thing would be to chown the entire ports tree to be owned
by the userid you want to do the build. Then do "make" as that person,
and "make install" as root. There are some ports that will *require*
you to do the "make install" as root, as the install process does
things that only root should be allowed to do (creating users and
setting the ownership of installed files comes to mind).

Along the same lines, you could set DISTDIR & WRKDIRPREFIX in
/etc/make.conf to be things you can write on as non-root. That should
do the fetch and build as you.

You could also just set DISTDIR, and do "make fetch". You can then do
"make install" as root, though this may force you to build the
dependent ports by hand.

You can also replace setting DISTDIR with making the default distdir
(should be /usr/ports/distdir) a symlink to some place you can write
to.

	<mike