Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:43:05 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need some tips in reorganizing our LAN.

--nextPart1634779.h0PD1G39ei

Hello jay,

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 05:55, Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
> The MIS suggested a LAN transition project, and I was assigned to lead the
> team. Right now, we are only two in this very big team. :-) I'm just
> wondering if I will ever gonna finish this project or not. I have a lot of
> stuffs mixed up in my mind right now but I really don't know where to
> start.

If you don't have it already, I'd start cleaning up the old system without=
=20
changing it's structure. Remove the redudancies, eg unnecessary cascading=20
switches, or computers that are no longer used. This will give you a clear=
=20
idea of what the current layout looks like, making it easier to plan change=
s,=20
and with some luck it'll also give you a hardware stockpile that you can th=
en=20
recycle for your new LAN.

>  I have these in my mind right now:
>
>  Connectivity
>  1. wired
>  2. wireless

I see no place for a wireless network in a professional network. It's hard =
to=20
secure it (it's possible, encrypted-VPN-over-WLAN works, but it's difficult=
=20
and expensive to set up). Stick with a wired LAN, and there'll be one=20
security threat less that you have to worry about.

>  Machines being hooked into the network:
>  1. servers
>  2. workstations

Make a list of the servers you have, and which user groups need them. Make =
a=20
list of which logical user groups there are. Then design a network layout t=
o=20
match those needs. You could, for example, put each use group into its own=
=20
subnet, including the servers it needs. Access between user groups could th=
en=20
be restricted at will*.

Alternatively, put some or all servers into a dedicated subnet. This will a=
lso=20
allow protecting them better.

I realize I'm being very unspecific, but you didn't give us all that much=20
information.

>  3. testbeds

If there are users accessing those, treat them as servers. Otherwise, isola=
te=20
them from the production network.

>  4. personal (laptops etc.)

This is a difficult one. Personal laptops are machines you have no direct=20
control over (you cannot control what software is installed on it), and as=
=20
such they are a high risk factor when they are connected to your network.=20
They might introduce malware into the company, or evade your file storage=20
procedures.

This is a matter of policy basically. Try to restrict personal machines as=
=20
much as you can. Forbid connecting them to the LAN. If you can't do that,=20
maybe have specialized laptop ports that are firewalled off from the rest o=
f=20
the network.

>  Will use DHCP

Keep in mind that a DHCP server needs to be in the same subnet it serves.=20
Other services do not have this requirement.

>  Will use centralized directory service
>  Will use centralized authentication

Sounds good. Personal laptops will undermine this though, another reason to=
=20
try to keep them away.

>  We have at most 150 employees...
>  We don't have that much to spend on equipments like managed switches,
> powerful servers, etc. We have a lot of political issues that needs to be
> resolved regarding network usage policies

You don't need powerful hardware to manage a network with just 150 employee=
s.=20
Some gigabit hardware for popular servers would be nice, but the network=20
management will use very little CPU resources (unless of course you decide =
to=20
play around with VPNs). So don't worry about that too much.

>  All these stuffs, basically mixed up in my mind. I really have no idea
> where to start aside from creating a purchase request for a new PC router
> and a multiple port lan card, which I already did a week ago..And it has
> not arrived yet. :-)

It sounds like you're planning to have all subnets connected through this o=
ne=20
=46reeBSD box. This is not necessary. You can put a router in between subne=
ts,=20
and have that one located elsewhere, where it's more convenient. It can als=
o=20
make perfect sense to have firewalls on these routers. If you isolate user=
=20
groups that need to communicate with each other into different subnets and=
=20
block traffic between them, it'll be easier to contain a worm outbreak.

And oh yeah: in my opinion, the firewall, ie the outermost machine that's=20
connected to the internet, should have 2 or 3 interfaces only, and carry da=
ta=20
only on 2 of them. Do not give it several interfaces for the purpose of=20
routing your LAN. It'll make creating an airtight firewall ruleset much mor=
e=20
difficult. Instead, have one or several routers inside your LAN that handle=
=20
it, that don't need to deal with malicious outside traffic too.

> Please help me.

=46eel free to be more specific about your plan or with your questions, I'm=
 sure=20
people here will happily comment on or answer them.

I'm also sensing that you feel a bit overwhelmed. Try to keep pressure on=20
yourself low, by having as few disruptive changes as necessary. Don't try t=
o=20
change your whole network over a weekend, it's too large for that. Install=
=20
the new parts bit by bit, and try to do so with the rest of the old system=
=20
still working, until you change it. In other words: take it slow, and plan=
=20
your steps well.

And here's another thought: reliability and redundancy. Computers fail. If =
you=20
have one central router that everything goes through, not only is it a=20
performance choke point, but it'll also bring the whole agency to a=20
standstill if it should fail. Maybe there isn't a better way to do things=20
given your resources, but if there is, try to limit the impact of potential=
=20
failures. Distribute things like routing, and most of the network will keep=
=20
working if one machine fails. Or, if you can, make things redundant.

Cheers
Benjamin