Date:      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:40:38 -0800
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Mike K <mikeslists@msquaredweb.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAQ is vague about upgrade from 3.x -> 4.x ... please help

On Saturday 09 February 2002 01:59 am, Mike K wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I have a remote 3.4-RELEASE box (production box) that I would like to
> upgrade to the latest version (4.5?).

Please be aware that there are THREE latest versions!

Thre is a -CURRENT version, which is continually being worked on, fiddled
with, and otherwise broken in minor ways on an hourly basis. Then there is a
-STABLE version, which will have tested bug fixes and stuff from -CURRENT
applied. Despite the name "stable", it is technically an unstable branch.

Finally, there is a -RELEASE version, currently 4.5-RELEASE. This is the
fully tested, ready for public consumption, ultra stable version. It's what
you find in stores, and what you get when you order from the distributors.

Neither -CURRENT or -STABLE are recommended for newbies. It is also required
for you to be subscribed to the relevant mailing lists if you do use them.

Stick with -RELEASE.

> Does anyone have step-by-step instructions for upgrading 3.x (or 3.4-REL
> specifically) to the latest 4.x.....remotely/safely/with-minimal-downtime?

If you need step-by-step instructions, then by all means, to not use -CURRENT
or -STABLE. The section you quoted from the Handbook was in reference to
-STABLE. No, no, no. Don't be tempted. Don't do it.

So how do you upgrade? The newbie way is to use a CD. Since the 4.5 CDs
haven't shipped yet, you would need to burn yourself a copy from the ISO
image.

Otherwise, you can use sysinstall to do it, provided that you set up the
release name to 4.5-RELEASE. Step-by-step instructions are not appropriate
for the -newbies list (read if the First Aid Kit if you don't know why), so
ask for details of this method on -questions.

David