Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:38:41 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
Cc:        jaime@snowmoon.com
Subject:   Re: ping: sendto: No buffer space available

Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> Bill Moran writes:
>
>>>jaime@snowmoon.com wrote:
>>>	It looks like something is causing it to pile up packets in the
>>>buffers temporarily.  Any thoughts?  In the mean time, I will see if I can
>>>dig up a PCI ethernet card.
>>
>>Yes, but it doesn't look like the pile is deep enough that it should have run
>>out of buffer space.
>
> The ``No buffer space available'' message generally has _nothing at all_
> to do with whether there are enough mbufs available. It really means
> that the send queue in the driver is full and no further packets can
> be added to it until it drains soemwhat.
>
> The message indicates that, for some reason, the driver can't send
> out any packets on the wire.

So the comment that I made that it was either a driver, NIC, or link-level
problem was near the mark?

> For some reason most people think that this message means they've run
> out of mbufs. Examination of the source would quickly disabuse them
> of this idea.

My original comment was meant to say that.  But apparently I didn't communicate
well enough.

I spent a while looking through the source to get a better idea of where that
error originates, and only got frustrated.  As a favor, can you point me to
the area of the source from which I can learn more of this?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies