Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 23:07:52 -0600
From:      Michael Porter <ocean@wavefront.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sound help

well, I tried to search the handbook, but it wasn't installed, and I
couldn't find it.  I think I read something about that before.  I tried
searching the e-maiul archives and online handbook, but FreeBSD.org
won't let me connect.  I sent a test e-mail, and it appeared to go
through, and www.cdrom.com works.   Hmmm......so here goes.....

I finally got my sound driver working (dmesg says soundblaster
2.1,Yamaha OPL-3 FM.) and  typed "./MAKEDEV snd0" in the /dev directory
to install the drivers.  I tried some cdplayers and sound players, but
they all get device not configured errors.  The cd players (xcd,
xcdplayer, workman, cdplayer) don't recognize that a cd is in the drive,
with both audio cds and data cds  I tried to cat an .au file directly to
/dev/mixer and /dev/music, but cat wouldn't let me ( I would type "cat
<file>.au > /dev/<trial driver> and it would say cat: stdout: Operation
not permitted [as root user[)
Soooooo.......what can I do?  I'm guessing that I could find it in the
handbok, but it's frustrating not being able to check it online

Thanks,
Michael Porter
ocean@wavefront.com
port0095@tc.umn.edu