Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 07:45:01 -0700
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does the ep driver work under 3.2-release?

Greg Black wrote:

[snip]

 The relevant part of my dmesg is:

>     1 3C5x9 board(s) on ISA found at 0x300
>     ep0 at 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on ISA
>     ep0: aui/utp/bnc[*UTP*] address 00:60:08:ac:d7:1b
>
> After boot, "ifconfig ep0" gives:
>
>     ep0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>             ether 00:60:08:ac:d7:1b
>
> After "ifconfig ep0 inet 192.168.1.1", it becomes:
>
>     ep0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>             inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>             ether 00:60:08:ac:d7:1b
>
> If I try to ping any of the other live machines on my 192.168.1
> LAN, I see the expected flashes from the correct lights on the
> hubs, but there are no responses reported by ping.  Same deal if
> I try to ping from the other boxes into this one.

Make sure that the routing tables in the other machines know about
this one.  I've seen this happen before, and it was almost always
a bad route:  The replying machines didn't know how to route the
replies back to the sender.

As for the 3c, I've got them in 4 machines here, not a single problem.
Not the fastest card on the planet, but, in my experience, rock stable.
No problems with the ep driver, either.

HTH.