Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 1999 12:33:12 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Patrick Walentiny <pezzy@vntech.com>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HCL for FreeBSD

Patrick Walentiny wrote:

> Hi there,
>         I would like to say there is a mroe organized version, but the
> only other thing I know of is the HARDWARE.TXT
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.2-RELEASE/HARDWARE.TXT
> Other then that when ever I am looking to see if something is supported I
> look in the LINT config and read comments.

The problem is that you have to look at more than hardware. You have
major items in install and etc. The other problem is that some items
aren't correct. For example, the memory requirement is still stated as
5MB and everyone knows that you need 12MB to do an install.

I looked at the Linux HCL and think that is a good template. I really
think something like that needs to be added to HTML documents at
FreeBSD.org.

Kent

>         Patrick.
>
> On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>

> > Hi...
> >
> >       One of the guys I work with is asking me about a Hardware
> > Compatibility List for FreeBSD, and, sadly, other then the sparse lists in
> > the handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/hw.html), I know of none.
> >
> >       He pointed me to the following URL of what Linux/RedHat has
> > available, and am wondering if we have somethign similar floating around
> > out there:
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/intel/60/rh6.0-hcl-i.ld.html
> >
> > Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> > Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> > primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html