Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 1997 15:49:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   XFree86-3.3, FBSD-2.2.2 & ViRGE/VX

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.2-R on a ASUS P55T2P4, with a Adaptec
2940AU. THe graphics card is a #9 9FX Reality 772 (ViRGE/VX).

I built XFree86-3.3 because it offers better support for the
ViRGE/VX chipset.

My question is, Is there anything specific to FreeBSD 2.2.2-R
that needs to be changed to best run XFree86-3.3; such as
something from the FreeBSD-current source?

The reason I'm asking, is that while 3.3 runs fine on this system,
the XF86_SVGA server fails to restart after the first 'startx'
session is closed on a freshly booted system. (running startx
a second time results on a frozen keyboard and a blank screen).

The author of XF86_S3V & XF86_SVGA is aware of this problem. They
supplied me with the patches to fix it, but after applying them,
and rebuilding, the 'no second restart' problem is still present.

Luckily, the XF86_S3V server is ok. However, I've been told
that the SVGA server is better, and that S3V will at some point
be phased out.

In an attempt to cover the bases, I thought I should ask this list
if FreeBSD 2.2.2-R needs anything from the -current source tree to
make the 3.3 or the 3.3.1 patched XF86_SVGA server happy.

Thanks,

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com

  FreeBSD   2.2.2-R