Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:38:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      dyson@iquest.net
To:        jeff-ml@mountin.net (Jeffrey J. Mountin)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, toor@dyson.iquest.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFS?

> At 03:05 PM 3/11/98 -0500, dyson@iquest.net wrote:
> >> I've been wondering if there is a size limit to MFS, besides the total amount of physical memory. :)
> >>
> >The size of swap.
>
> So with 1GB of memory and 500MB of swap I can MFS 500MB?
>
> Anyone done this?
>
> With some scripting to save data periodically this would make for a fast site, especially if a lot of data needs to be searched.
>
> The most I've seen used is 64MB on a news box.

Okay, I parsed your question precisely, and perhaps shouldn't have.

You MUST have at least the same amount of swap as memory, period, unless
you have a well controlled embedded application.  The best rule of thumb
is swap = 2 * memory for large systems, but even that is not always good.

MFS is backed by swap just like anonymous pages in processes.  So, MFS
is limited by the same memory limitations as processes are.  I know that
I have had at least a 500MB MFS working.  Note that I have a system
with 200MB+ of ram, and 1.2GB of swap.

John