Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:35:11 +0100
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

According to Don Lewis:
> That's certainly not my experience.   Once the initiate_write_filepage
> and newdirrem panics were fixed, my system has been completely stable.

I agree. All my three systems are more stable now and the two using the ahc
driver are faster under CAM. I've not see that much difference for the ncr
driver.

> I think you are thinking of NFS write caching.  An NFS server isn't
> supposed to tell the NFS client that the write has completed until

No, I really talking about the WCE bit. SAM is very clear about this kernel
value for HP-UX. There are two configurable variables, one is "async" mode
(apparently you either have it for all I/O or not at all) and write caching
(WCE).
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-BETA #4: Thu Oct 15 01:36:57 CEST 1998