Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:08:57 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Performance issues with natd

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 05:21 pm, Kenneth Culver wrote:
[...]
> All that said, it wouldn't hurt to try to use ipfilter or something
> like that... that would avoid any extra money being spent if it
> solves the problem (I doubt that it will but it might).

It would be very easy to swap inside and outside interfaces. It might
make things worse. It might make things better. Might not be any change
at all as there is still a memory move involved as long as the Rhino is
in use. But the rhythm of the data transfer may be different and data
rates may improve. Will never know until its tried.

There is nothing seriously wrong with the performance of ipfirewall.

As for "spending money" the Rhino-based card mentioned is one of those
$10 to $20 super-cheapies every Office Depot, BestBuy, and Walmart
stock. Watching at hamfests and "computer shows" one can purchase used
Intel 10/100's for under $10. Possibly my best deal was 3 for $8 altho
I bought some DEC Tulip-based cards for 3 for $5 recently. Surprisingly
they all worked.

Is best to shop for quality. That is why we are BSD users.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net