Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 1996 01:00:14 +0000
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Not able to operate with on demand PPP

At 07:58 AM 2/24/96 -0700, Sean Kelly <kelly@yarmouth> wrote:

>  Before using "term", try doing
>	set openmode active=7F

the command "set openmode active" was solving my problem.
Thanks, where do you get such information?

I then moved on to the next stage of my job, on demand dialing.

The peer IPaddr is fixed 192.106.229.1. My side changes dynamically.
The peer is my defaultroute.

When pinging to a given destination, instead of getting the connection up,
the route fails:

ping sendto: Host is down
ping: wrote 192.106.166.93 64 chars, ret=3D-1

It's only possible to ping directly to the peer 192.106.229.1, activating
the dialup connection.=20

But, if I connect initially by hand or by auto (anyway not on-demand), then
definitely any subsequent on-demand operation succeds, as if some bit inside
the routing table were set correctly in place.

This is the routing table, right after issuing ppp -auto:
------
Internet:
Destination      Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default          localhost          Uc          0        0       lo0 =3D>
default          192.106.229.1      UGc         1        0      tun0
localhost        localhost          UH          1        0       lo0
192.106.229.1    default            UH          3        0      tun0
199.1.1          link#1             UC          1        0
dittaseria       localhost          UGHS        1       10       lo0
224              link#1             UCS         0        0

This  is the ppp.conf excerpt:
---------------------------------------
mclink-auto:
 set debug phase lcp