Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:11:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Appleton <appleton_chris@yahoo.com>
To:        Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipf and router

--- Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Chris Appleton wrote:
>

> > 207.250.250.1 IS the dsl router.  i want traffic
> > destined for it to use rl0 and traffic for the
> rest of
> > the subnet to use rl1.  then filter in between.
> what
> > would a rough table look like to accomodate this?
>

> You dont need to set up a special routing table.
> just ifconfig rl0 with
> the IP your isp gave you, and ifconfig rl1 with a
> private IP. The ifconfig
> command sets the routes for the directly attached
> networks automagically for
> you. Then enable IP forwarding (sysctl -w
> net.inet.ip.forwarding=1, or put
> "gateway_enable=YES" in rc.conf), set your dsl
> router as the default route
> and you are done.
>
> In your first post I didn't see the entries
> corresponding to rl1, and I
> suspect you haven't configured it yet.

i may have mixed up the rl's but that's the jist.
what you've said makes sense but the complication is
still that the "private" is the same subnet - no nat.
i only have the 1 c class and want to separate the
router from the rest of the (same) network.  a bridge
will do this but i'm wondering if i can do it with
route.

thanks again