Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:16:32 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: lang/perl5 (perl 5.6.1) port unforbidden

----- Forwarded message from Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org> -----

From: Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
To: cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject: cvs commit: ports/lang/perl5 Makefile distinfo pkg-descr
         pkg-install pkg-message pkg-plist ports/lang/perl5/files use.perl
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:05:05 -0800 (PST)

tobez       2001/12/19 09:05:05 PST

  Modified files:
    lang/perl5           Makefile distinfo pkg-descr pkg-install
                         pkg-plist
  Added files:
    lang/perl5           pkg-message
    lang/perl5/files     use.perl
  Log:
  Unforbid the port for the use of general FreeBSD public.

  Compile perl with BSDPAN support, both -current and -stable.  The
  version of BSDPAN used here coincides accidentally with the one present
  in the -current system perl, but is installed in a different place.

  Provide a script, use.perl, to facilitate switching of the perl used by
  default between the system perl and this port.  Also print a message
  describing the usage of use.perl (this works for the port and for the
  package built from it).  The switching to the port version is done by
  removing /usr/bin/perl and /usr/bin/suidperl (they both have link count
  >1, so this is reversible), and making them to be symlinks to the
  corresponding binaries in $PREFIX/bin.  Also, assignments of the correct
  values of PERL_VER, PERL_VERSION, and PERL_ARCH are appended to
  /etc/make.conf.  Last, NOPERL=yes is appended to /etc/make.conf, so that
  the changes made will survive system upgrades from source.  The
  switching to the system version is more or less a reverse of the process
  described above.

  Set and use PERL_ARCH which is independed from the one used by the
  system perl.

  Fix the port for post-malloc.h -current.

  Fix a small bogon when PREFIX was used in pkg-install (PKG_PREFIX should
  have been used instead).

  Reviewed by:    markm, joe

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.40      +30 -9     ports/lang/perl5/Makefile
  1.12      +1 -0      ports/lang/perl5/distinfo
  1.1       +82 -0     ports/lang/perl5/files/use.perl (new)
  1.6       +0 -6      ports/lang/perl5/pkg-descr
  1.6       +2 -2      ports/lang/perl5/pkg-install
  1.1       +22 -0     ports/lang/perl5/pkg-message (new)
  1.25      +6 -0      ports/lang/perl5/pkg-plist

----- End forwarded message -----

This does not mean there are no problem left with perl upgrade from
ports.  In particular, expect trouble if you install this port and then
install various p5 *packages* (not ports).

This version also does not solve the dreaded PRIV vs SITE problem for
ports that install newer versions of perl modules already in the perl
distribution.  I am going to solve this last problem for this port in a
few days by changing the default order of perl's search path (the
default value of @INC array).

If you wish to run more modern perl than the one we have in the base
system, you should consider using this port, at least until 5.6.1 will
be imported to the base system.

Cheers,
=Anton.
--
| Anton Berezin                |      FreeBSD: The power to serve |
| catpipe Systems ApS   _ _ |_ |           http://www.FreeBSD.org |