Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:56:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is the Gigabyte GA 6VXC7 MB ok for FreeBSD ?

> Rick> I'd go with Soltek if you can find them, and Asus on the other
> Rick> side.
>
> Thanks for your answer but, as far i consider, Soltek MB are using the
> same chipset than Gigabyte (VIA 82C694X) so my question remains...

	It's not the chipset, but rather what is done with the
chipset. FIC, Tyan, Gigabyte, Asus, Soltek, Soho, etc, all use the same
chipsets for their products. For my money, I wouldn't buy anything but
Asus or Soltek. FIC are ok boards, I have little experience with Tyan,
other then many of my distributors won't carry them due to high failure
rates. Soho, I wouldn't touch if my life depended on it, they just have
too many small problems. In the field I've placed over 100 Various
Gigabyte motherboards. At least 30 of them have failed and been replaced
with Soltek or Asus motherboards, with no further problems.
	Some of those problems have been due to power spikes that no
amount of surge protection and UPS's have been able to stop. The Soltek
motherboards in those locations still work fine under the exact same
conditions. (In one case, direct lightning strikes to the building,
because the buisness is to cheap to put in a lightning rod...) Other
Gigabyte motherboards have weird problems, such as reboots, corrupted
data, write errors, suddenly bad hard drives that all work just fine on
another brand of motherboard, etc, etc.
	Please remeber you asked for opinions. I'm giving you my
experiences with these various brands of motherboards, and almost 10 years
of playing with PC hardware in some of the roughest conditions. Very
little tests the durability of hardware more then a poorly maintained
generator running "hot," while lightning is striking all around, and the
poor UPS is screaming it's lungs out because it dosen't like the juice
coming in. On top of which some fool just dumped a can soda all over
the pump server, because they had to "move it" to make room for the recent
additions to their cash island. Perchance my experiences are a bit
extreme, but I've got a stack of invoices to prove that Gigabyte's don't
work.

					Rick