Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 17:55:42 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, ports@FreeBSD.org, dyson@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pgcc port

> I'm not too worried about the users' machines (diskspace is cheap
> after all), it's the CDROM and ftp sites I'm concerned about.  The
> ports collection is growing too fast and it has just spilled out to
> the second CD.  At this rate, we'll run out of space on that soon

Actually, I only anticipate that this will get worse with time. ;-)

The ports collection itself is small - it could be 100 times the size
and still fit easily on a CD.  It's just the distfiles and the
packages which eat us alive, and we have to figure out methods for
distributing both *very soon* or the 2.2 CD set will be something of a
mess.  I'm already expecting to have to go to 4 CDs, the layout of which
might be:

CD1:	Distributions, Docs, Installation tools
CD2:	Live Filesystem, CVS repository, CTM base deltas
CD3:	ports + distfiles
CD4:	packages

Though I'm also more afraid that CD3 and CD4 are going to look like:

CD3:	ports + distfiles
CD4:	more distfiles + packages

Since the distfiles are getting huge.  With a package, we're only
storing the bits we need for FreeBSD, so that's less demanding
(but still pretty big!).

Longer-term, I dunno.  We may have to spin the ports collection off as
another product entirely since it's going to start needing 4 CDs all
by itself before we know it! :-(

					Jordan