Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 23:07:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: "Dangerously dedicated" yet again (was: cvs commit: src/sys/kern subr_diskmbr.c)

:>     etc...  So apparently my warning about these drives in 'man tuning' is
:>     still appropriate :-)
:>
:> 					-Matt
:>
:> :> > IBM DTLA drives are known to rotate fast enough near the spindle
:> :> > that the sustained write speed exceeds the ability of the controller
:> :> > electronics to keep up, and results in crap being written to disk.
:
:
:I would adssume it actually the tracks FURTHEREST from the spindle..

    This is the first I've heard of the alleged controller electronics
    performance problem.  My understanding is that the failures are due
    to manufacturing problems, but people have apparently experienced
    software lockups as well.

    What is not in doubt is that there have been some severe problems with
    this model.

						-Matt