Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 16:30:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        ahill@interconnect.com.au (Anthony Hill)
Cc:        archie@tribe.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1-R ..fatal trap 12..HELP !

> On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, Archie Cobbs wrote:
>
> > > I have just upgraded from 2.0.5-R to 2.1-R, and have been suffering from
> > > rather regular crashes since I have.
> > >
> > > The messages I get are :-
> > >
> > > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
> > > fault address = 0xdfdffc8c
> > > fault code supervisor read, page not present
> > > instruction pointer 0x8:0xf0108095
> >
> > I've had similar crashes with 2.1.0-110595-SNAP... eg,
> >
> >   Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> >   fault virtual address   = 0x1249b4
> >   fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> >   instruction pointer     = 0x8:0x1249b4
> >   code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> > 			  = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> >   processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> >   current process         = 13 (mount)
> >   interrupt mask          =
> >   panic: page fault
> >
> What if anything have you done about it  ? - my system is unusable, if I
> just boot up and start nothing other than the default preconfigured
> daemons etc, the thing will freeze within a few hours - if I'm actually
> doing stuff 1 hour is the record.
>
> If no one can give me any ideas within a day or so I will go back to 2.0.5
> which was working rather well for me. The only reason I upgraded was to get
> into the new ports tree.....  Sigh

For me these haven't been very frequent, so they are tolerable. Also,
this was on a motherboard with a TI 486DX-66 chip. Because of the crashes
we replaced it with another motherboard and so far (one day) it hasn't
crashed. We also replaced the IDE cable because it looked kindof old.

Also, we have several Pentiums running the same kernel with no sign of
such behavior for several months.

Sounds like a pretty low-level VM subsystem thing going on.

What kind of motherboard and CPU are you using?

-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com