Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 14:36:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        Phusion <scottg@thuntek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS installation problem

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Phusion wrote:

> I have one dedicated Windows 95 machine.  I d/led all the packages
> from one of your mirror sites and I am trying to get NFS install
> work.  First of all, my '95 box is ip 129.29.29.29 and my future
> FreeBSD box I have decided will be 129.29.29.30 I setup kernel
> and all, and I select packages and basic stuff.  I go to NFS
> installation and enter "129.29.29.29:/D:/FreeBSD" because the
> packages are contained on my windows 95 box on drive D..

??? ;-)

1. "129.29.29.29:/D:/FreeBSD" isn't a valid path. In Unix there's no
   such a thing as a "drive letter" like C: or A:. A valid one could
   be:  "129.29.29.29/FreeBSD", _but_ continue reading.

2. If you want to install with NFS (Network File System) from a
   win95 box, you must istall a NFS server program on it. I don't think
   this is the best way to go ;-)

3. Forget the win95 box. Boot from the boot floppy, select FTP
   install and follow the instructions. (I mean: choose "primary FTP
   site" or similar, don't use 129.29.29.29). Yes, you *can* install
   FreeBSD *directly* from the net, no need to download the software on
   another machine before! Cool, isn't it ?

Also, on www.freebsd.org there's a nice handbook that explains this
and much more in detail. If you like the Unix world, you'll soon
find the phrase RTFM, which means Read The Fantastic Manual. What?
the F stands for something other than Fantastic ?? ;-)

4. Enjoy. This is a whole brave and better world.

Marco Molteni
Computer Science student at the Universita' degli studi di Milano, Italy.
UNIX _is_ user friendly.  It's just selective about who its friends are.