Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:13:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Ronald 'Ko' Klop" <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
To:        Tetsuya Watanabe <tetsuya1@prodigy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation problem: pnp modem and netscape

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Tetsuya Watanabe wrote:

> 1) I rewrite kernel config file and installed without any problem except one
> thing.  As www.freebsd.org/faq/faq77.html suggests, I added the vendor
> name-id combinations for a 3com pnp modem and a SB16(CT2980)pnp cards. Then,
> "device pcm ..." line was added to new kernel config file. Make install was
> successful. Now, SB16 has been  recognized and initialized at the bootup.
> However, I can't seem to find out the boot-time configuration script. Is
> this a shell script on your home directory? I like to add "pnp ..." config
> line to it.

This is /boot/kernel.conf

> 2) Netscape tells something like it cannot load ld.so. Does the
> following method remove the problem?
>
> from 3.2 errata:
> "The compat20 and compat21 distributions install themselves into
> /usr/lib/compat.  The compat20/compat21 distributions are a.out libraries,
> thus they should live in /usr/lib/compat/aout to match ..."

Sorry, but I don't know this one. I don't have problems with netscape
under my 3.2-STABLE

> 3) The other day, someone in freebsd.misc newsgroup was saying that the ide
> bus perfomance could be improved if tweaked. How could it be done?

I only know that you can use flags in the kernel to let FreeBSD probe for
DMA, multi-block I/O, etc. You can use iozone (from
/usr/ports/benchmarks/iozone) to test this very easily.
See 'man wd' and the LINT-configuration. I don't know why these options
aren't set by default.

--
Ronald Klop
http://node11a94.a2000.nl/~ronald/