Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 23:03:38 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Iomega Zip 250 pccard ?

In message <20000413211853.B17689@stat.Duke.EDU> "Sean O'Connell" writes:
: I have my hands on Iomega 250 Zip drive (enterprise package that
: comes with a zip drive and a USB cable and a 250 Zip disk).  So
: I thought that I'd play with it.  This is on a Sony Vaio 505TR
: running 4.0-RELEASE.

Funny you should mention that....  I almost bought one of these last
night.  I take it you went ahead and got the IDE pcmcia card.

: 2) However, it pretty much locks my machine up solid for what
:    seems like an eternity (20-60 sec) before it probes and attaches
:    the drive.  The drive is inserted without media.  There are all
:    sorts of dire warnings in the manual about removing media before
:    powering of/ejecting from the drive (Is this FUD?).
:
:    Is this just par for the course?   The Sony-branded cdrom does
:    not have this effect on my machine.   Is this a quirk of the drive
:    or of the atapifd attachment?

Don't know.  I do know that my cdrom doesn't have the problem.

You might try config 0x2 and see if that works differently.

Warner