Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2016 14:15:48 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-arch list <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
Subject:   Re: Illumos/OpenSolaris SMF to FreeBSD

In message <b626122e-8b77-91ff-d481-11849c6b81fd@FreeBSD.org>, Pedro
Giffuni wr
ites:
> Hi Cy;
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What are people's thoughts about porting Illumos Service Management
> > Facility (SMF) to FreeBSD? The Solaris SMF didn't replace their init(8),
> > it's started by their init(8) through inittab -- we could use ttys or
> > replace init.
> >

> Is this something that could live in ports ... at least for a while?
> It appears there are many options and it's great to be able to choose,
> but I doubt we want to compromise right now on which,
>
> > Like DTrace and ZFS, SMF is CDDL. Does that matter?
>
> Yes, everything matters. As with all weak-copyleft, a requisite is
> that it cannot be made mandatory.

I wasn't aware that this was an issue to some vendors. db@ and I discussed
it very briefly on IRC. I suppose it could be made optional however that
would mean every start-up script would need to be duplicated in both
environments and that doesn't make any sense. As nice as it would be, it's
probably not meant to be.

Having said all that, I don't think that Apple's launchd was meant for
servers or the enterprise, not to mention they closed-sourced it. We
probably have to write our own.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>